Friday, February 6, 2015

Why I drop $60k on a liberal arts education (or at least let the government do it….) (27 Jan 2015)

I feel like school is all I know.
During my senior year of high school, like many other students my age, I started submitting college applications. In retrospect, though, I didn’t stay up writing essays and bugging my parents for financial information because I wanted to go to college. I did it because I thought I had to. I had spent the last twelve years spending eight hours a day behind a desk. It was all I knew.
It had been no secret that I was “smart” (in academic terms). My father noticed this when I was young, and joked that I he wouldn’t be surprised if I went to Stanford when I was older. This was all I had heard about “college”–this “Stanford” place. So I took it seriously. My goal from that point was to get into Stanford. For what? I didn’t know. At that point, I still wanted to be a princess when I grew up, and I’m not sure that’s included in any university’s course catalog.
Ten years later, I received an e-mail from Stanford University informing me that I had not been accepted. I was at work at the time, and I asked my boss to let me sit in my car for a few minutes. I cried (I promise this won’t be a recurring theme in my blog). But honestly, I don’t know why. Sure, it would have been nice to be able to tell people I went to Stanford, but that was it. That was the appeal. I wanted the prestigious name. Sure, the academics are great, but I didn’t actually care. I had submitted many applications for reasons that had nothing to do with academics–maybe the campus was pretty, maybe they had an esteemed football team that I wanted to root for (go Ducks!). In fact, when applying to colleges, academics didn’t really matter to me at all. As long as I was at a university, it counted, right?
My biggest revelation came when I committed to attend Furman University. When I told my dad the news, he told me that he was proud of me and said that I would be the first one in the family to go to a four-year university. My jaw dropped. It was an option not to go to one?! This had never occurred to me. I had been so caught up in the social norm: when you get out of high school, you go to college. If you go to community college, it’s a cute effort. If you don’t go to college at all, you’re going to spend your time working at McDonald’s. And I sure as hell didn’t want to do that.
Essentially, I’m in school because society makes me feel like I should. I felt forced to decide what I want to do with my life early on. Fresh out of high school, I thought I had to have it all figured out. I declared my major during my first semester of college because I felt like I had to. I wanted to have a plan. I wanted to be able to answer questions at Thanksgiving–”How’s school?”, “What are you studying?”, “What do you plan on doing with that?” I just can’t bear to turn to my grandmother and utter the words “I don’t know,” when in reality, maybe I don’t know. Maybe my plan is wrong. Maybe it isn’t for me. And even though I can’t fully admit it yet, maybe it’s okay if I don’t know.


--------------
Comments from old blog:

Dr. Herron: I still remember the pile of small envelopes form big name schools on the table waiting for me when we got home from a family vacation. Not a pleasant experience!
Of course, they are judging on much more than academics. And as you mention, focusing on academics with a purpose in mind is an essential part of making the experience worthwhile. I would just say, challenge yourself! Make yourself work hard and learn a lot. Any college education that does that will be extremely valuable.

1 comment:

  1. I do think that it is quite interesting that today it is becoming the norm to go to a four-year university. It used to be that people would go to one in order to get ahead and pursue specific fields that were incredibly interesting to them. Now, we go to college because we are supposed to and have no idea why we are there. To me, it seems like it could be considered a waste of time, especially if you just go through the motions and find out what you majored in by looking at your diploma. However, college is something that has immeasurable positives to it, but it has to be done right. You have to know what you want to get out of it and work as hard as you can to get there

    ReplyDelete