Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Growing up in Utah, California, and then South Carolina, I've experienced a lot of culture shock, as well as different aspects of racism.
The first thing people ask when I say I was born in Utah is usually "Oh, so are you Mormon?" While I am not, my family is, and I grew up learning a lot of Mormon doctrine and ideology. Something that I find very interesting (and honestly sickening) about the Latter-Day Saints (LDS) Church is that, until 1978, blacks were given a very low-class status. In the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon," it is even jokingly sung that "I believe that in 1978, God changed his mind about black people." This is not the only racism faced in Utah, though. Hispanics are a large part of the Utah population, but some of their white counterparts will make jokes about them being "beaners" or that they are only good for landscaping and house maids. Again, I was very young when I lived in Utah, but when I visit, I've noticed these tendencies and immediately feel uncomfortable.
I'm going to skip over my time in California for now, as my experiences in South Carolina are more closely related to those in Utah. Aiken, South Carolina is split between the predominately white south side and the predominately black north side. It is even said that if a white person and a black person wreck on the north side, the white person will be at fault, but if it happens on the south side, the black person will be at fault. This is absolutely sickening.
In California, I lived near San Francisco, which is largely blends many cultures, from Asian cultures to Hispanic cultures, and beyond. In comparison to Utah, and especially to South Carolina, racism was not as big, at least that I have noticed. Maybe the answer to racism, then, is to include an area for different cultures, as San Francisco has Chinatown and areas for other cultures. Unfortunately, though, this may seem to promote segregation, allotting different areas for different cultures.

2 comments:

  1. It is fascinating how even prejudice and discrimination have a kind of regional character in the US. What are the major differences you've noticed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Areas for different cultures is a very interesting idea. Although this idea exists to some extent in the United States, like Miami being a Cuban hotspot, it is not planned out in any sort of way. This idea does exist around the world however, in the form of countries. The problem with this idea though is that the United States would be essentially split into different countries, and tensions would only rise when two different races are inevitably forced to interact. Also, jobs would even harder to find, areas would become specialized and people would be pigeon-holed into working in a certain region and therefore a certain type of job

    ReplyDelete