Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Study Abroad

College is the perfect time to be able to travel, particularly at Furman. Furman-sponsored study away programs are covered by tuition, so why not travel for the cost you would be paying anyway?
Personally, I've never left the country, and that is exactly my motivation to do so. While I have my preferences (somewhere I can speak English and be okay, please...), I am willing to travel anywhere, because I want experiences outside of the United States.
I am aiming to study in Edinburgh, Scotland. This program is not only a chance to study away, but also an opportunity to have an internship in a foreign country. I would hope to intern either with a psychiatrist, or with the Scottish parliament, in order to compare US and Scottish mental health policies.
After college, when most former undergraduate students either venture into the work force or into graduate school, there is not as much of an opportunity to travel, particularly for people who plan on having a family.
College is full of so many opportunities that I believe all students should try to take advantage of. Possibly one of the biggest of these opportunities is the chance to leave the United States, learning not only your curriculum, but also the culture and lifestyle of other countries.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely travel before starting a family--college is the perfect time. I haven't had much of a chance to do so since studying abroad, aside from a few week long vacations. A vacation is a totally different thing, though--you really won't get another opportunity like it.

    ReplyDelete